Last year American historical fiction author Jill George contacted Tavistock Museum to advise us of her forthcoming visit to undertake research in Tavistock. Arabella Burton Buckley, the heroine of her new novel, “Illuminating Darwin – Arabella’s Light”, lived close to the town from 1893-1895 at Walreddon Manor.
Each year Tavistock Museum tries to repair an object in its collection. This summer textile conservators at the Royal Albert Memorial Museum (RAMM) in Exeter are restoring the Brentor village banner.
A contractor A D Williams was appointed by the Tavistock Town Council earlier this month and they have now started work on the dry rot repairs at the Tavistock Museum. The scope of work involves removing a timber beam supporting a masonry wall and replacing it with a steel beam, replacing several timber window lintels with concrete, and replacing any timber floor joists affected by the dry rot.
Tavistock Museum was delighted to hear that Tavistock Town Council had generously awarded a grant of £2470.00 for the purchase of equipment for a “mobile museum”.
Chris Gallie (stage name Cyd Child) was a stunt girl and European judo champion. She was the stunt double for Diana Rigg and Linda Thorsen in the Avengers, personal trainer for Joanna Lumley in the New Avengers and stunt double in numerous films and many well-known TV shows.
This autumn roof drainage improvements have been carried out on the Guildhall Square side of the museum building. Two of the original downpipes have been replaced with new larger diameter pipework and two new gutter boxes have been installed at roof level.
This year has been a better year than expected for Tavistock Museum. Furthermore the museum has proved resilient against a number of challenges.
The first challenge came as a result of the prolonged closure of the public passageway beneath Court Gate on account of infrastructure work in the Guildhall Square. This adversely affected our sales income. However, in mid-April this year we re-started our second-hand book sales which has surpassed its former popularity now the passageway is open again.
A large banner previously displayed in the United Reform Church at Tavistock has found a new home at Tavistock Museum. The cloth banner shows a painting of the imposing Congregational Church, a gothic structure with a tall spire, built in 1873 which once was a feature of Duke Street.
Tavistock Museum is pleased to announce that it has been successful in bagging £4000 from the Tesco Bags of Help community grant scheme for its new film project.
Bags of Help is run in partnership with environmental charity Groundwork, and sees grants raised from the sale of carrier bags awarded to thousands of local community projects every year.
Mary Freeman died on the 4th March 2018, aged 93. During her working life she was a marine scientist of international repute, and in her long retirement an acknowledged expert on the history of Tavistock.